Friday, August 24, 2012

Post 83-Happy Birthday Marlee



Today is Marlee Matlins birthday!!! Marlee is a wonderful actress who is deaf.She was born on August 24th,1965 in Morton Grove, Illinois.She lost her hearing when she was 18 months old and speaks in sign language.She grew up in Arlington Heights,Illinois and attended Harper College. Throughout her childhood she did lots of acting and theater with the ICODA (International Center on Deafness and the Arts organization.)A non-profitable organization in Illinois.She was discovered by Henry Winkler while at the ICODA theater.Her movie debut Children of The Lesser God brought her a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for best Actress.I personally love that movie and think that she did a fantastic job.She went on to be in a couple more movies and lots of TV shows such as,Picket Fences,Law and Order,and Dancing with The Stars.She was also a finalists on the show The Celebrity Apprentice,competing to win money for her for her charity(The Starkey Hearing Foundation)and finished second.Although she didn't win she on one episode of The Celebrity Apprentice ("The Art of the Deal" aired on April 3, 2011),raised more money than ever in a single event on television for a charity. Raising $986,000.I love Marlee Matlin.I think she is so inspiring for those who are deaf and inspires me that you can have problems or be disabled but that that shouldn't stop you from doing what you love.That I can do anything!I think she a a wonderful actress and that the way she carries her self is awesome.Today my quotes will be from her. I honor her birthday and hope she has many more!



"At some point we have to stop and say, There's Marlee, not, There's the deaf actress."-Marlee Matlin


"Every one of us is different in some way, but for those of us who are more different, we have to put more effort into convincing the less different that we can do the same thing they can, just differently."-Marlee Matlin


"I've been around since I was 19, I won the Oscar when I was 21, I've had a couple of TV series. I've continued to work despite the predictions of some naysayers."-Marlee Matlin




A book she wrote about her difficulty with being deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment