Sunday, November 25, 2012

Post 107-Happy Birthday Trisha Brown

        Today is Trisha Browns birthday.I love Trisha Brown in so many ways even though I just learned who she is thanks to Google! Trisha Brown was born on November 25th,1936 in Aberdeen, Washington. She went to Mills College and studied dance,earning her B.A. degree.She also later earned her D.F.A from Bates College.After studying with several dancers and artists such as,Twyla Tharp, Lucinda Childs, and David Gordon she in 1970 formed the Trisha Brown Dance Company.Her company became one of the most leading Contemporary dance ensembles in New York.





Walking on the Wall piece


Accumulation piece
                                                        






Her early choreography was very different from anyone else in the 70s and it was also GENIUS!  She created dances included having equipment such as an harness or rope.She made choreography that went above and beyond the theory of gravity.A couple of her pieces were Walking on the Wall (1971), Roof Piece (1971), and Accumulation (1971). All these pieces were meant to be done out in public in certain places.My favorite out of the three is Roof piece which is done with twelve people,taking place on twelve different rooftops in Soho,New York.Each dancer transmits moves onto the dancer on the nearest roof. Since the 1970s she has been credited for making and putting on stage more than 30 pieces and has also been recognized by the governor of France,many museums,and art committees.In 2000 she was inducted into the National Museum of Dance's Mr. & Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney Hall of Fame and was awarded the National Medal of Arts in 2002 as well as many other things.



















  Today I am very thankful for Trisha.She has inspired me like no other. She has inspired me to dance with my movements and to just let it out and I thank her for that. I also thank God and her parents for her birth because if she hadn't been born me and many others would have never been inspired. Today I celebrate her birthday and hope she lives to inspire many others for many more years! Happy Birthday Trisha Brown!!!

 "Do my movement and my thinking have an intimate connection? First of all, I don’t think my body doesn’t think."-Trisha Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment